Lots of people think it’s expensive to eat healthy. Let’s spend some time looking at ways to eat healthy on a budget.
Growing up we had to eat on a budget with a family of 6. We grew a lot of our own vegetables and spent most of the late summer and early fall preserving vegetables for the winter.
Unfortunately most people are so busy that it’s challenging to find the time to prepare anything other than convenience foods. These foods tend to be highly processed, calorie dense but nutrient poor.
In the long run, eating healthy will save you money. It will save on medication and medical treatment costs. It will save you lost wages due to illness. It’s just the fact that these benefits are not immediate and we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about them.
How can you eat healthier on a budget?
- Set a budget in the first place.
- Plan out your meals for the week.
- Buy things when you find them on sale and buy store brand products.
- Don’t go grocery shopping when you are hungry – this tends to lead to impulse buys.
- Cook more at home.
- Cook larger amounts and use your leftovers or freeze for later.
- Save money on the “junk food” you used to buy.
Purchase whole foods – for example, buying meat in the form of a roast and breaking it down is cheaper than buying it after the butcher has cut it into individual portions.
To learn more and to find some great recipes, join us today!